Thursday 20 November 2014

Fiction Adaptation: COSTUMES

For my fiction adaptation, I want it to be set in the 20's therefore need to make sure all the costumes and props look right. I did some extensive research on previous posts on what woman wore back then and how they styled their dresses - i.e accessories, headwear. I had to make sure to look for frills, lace and floral patterns.
I finally found some dresses on Ebay and in charity shops after a very long search. I found some really nice ones however even with 1st class postage they wouldn't arrive till mid December as they was posted from far away. 

The first dress I found is a blue cotton dress with frills and lace on it - which I immediately knew was right for at least one of my characters. I dressed the costume up with some beads however need to remember if I use this for my main character she will be wearing a locket. I really like this dress and think if I add more necklace and arm beads to it it will look more 20's style.

Blue dress 1


For the second dress, it's exactly the same as the first except it's in black.
I thought this would fit well for one of Nancy's best friends as a little joke because their wearing the same dress (the girls characters are very over the top). I think because of the colour difference the two dresses look different and unique which I like.

Black dress 2


The third dress I really like, however when it arrived in the post I realise I needed to buy more beads and dress it up more, as on Ebay the seller made it look really 20's style with long white flapper beads and a hat, however on the photo below it doesn't look too good.
Yellow/Cream dress 3


For the last dress I'm not too sure of but when I looked at 1920s dresses I did find a lot similar to this with floral dark patterns therefore I'm going to ask my actress to try it on to see which looks best.
I found this dress in a charity shop.

I also bought a hat for one of my characters to wear (preferably the one who wears the yellow dress) which I found on Ebay. 
(pic)

Overall, I do like the dresses for my cast however I prefer the first 1 definitely for my main character as it's very girly, petite and elegant which matches her personality. It's also the brightest dress and will make her stand out the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment