Saturday 6 December 2014

Digital News Production: PACKAGE EFFECTS!

After finally finishing the main edit to Kent Life - I needed to start adding all the graphics and tag lines to the news piece. 

FACTS + FIGURES!
I began by finding a shot that had animals in the background and blurring it so that I could add text above it. I discussed with my group how it should appear and we all agreed on having it come up as a typewriter as our presenter is discussing the topic. I put a glow on the background of the text so it would stand out more as before adding the white glow it was plain and quite hard to read. I thought we can have the good points in black and the bad points in red. I then thought it might look boring by itself so I googled PNG photos of ticks and crosses so that it would look more appealing. To animate the effect was quite simple, using after effects I imported the clip and then imported the tick and crosses separately. I then added in key frames to where I wanted the tick to start (small) and turned the scaling down to 0.0 so that it was tiny and added another key frame where I wanted the tick and cross to appear and put the scaling back up so that it would zoom out to a nice size. 
I then did the same thing for the cross and my animation was ready!

Although the graphic is quite simple I think it adds more of a news piece feel to it with the facts and figures appearing on the screen.

TAGLINE!

Creating the tagline for each interviewee was the next step for our graphics. I needed to make sure the colour theme and style fit our channel. We decided on using autumn colours such as browns and greens and dark reds to fit in with our logo.

On Final Cut Pro X I found a tagline animation that was quite simple, yet I thought fit with our news piece very well. I decided to put the name of our contributor in red, who they are underneath in black, our twitter page to the right and our logo to the left. I added the logo in After Effects as I needed to resize it and animate it. I added a fade towards the end of the tagline so it didn't cut out abruptly. I then showed Vic what he thought of the tagline and he said that I should move the logo up so it comes off the edge of the tagline - which I thought looked really good. 
In After Effects I once again used key frames and the scaling and opacity to create a short animation for the tagline. I needed to make sure that the logo entered the frame when the tagline finished coming into shot and also make sure it left the shot when everything faded out. To do this I added a keyframe when the logo was off screen, I then re positioned it onscreen half way through the clip and re added another keyframe so that it would track onto the screen from the left. I then added another key frame so that it would fade out at the end of the clip - I turned the opacity down to 0% so it would fade out. I really like how the animation has turned out and throughout the process I have learnt more about After Effects animations and graphics!

No comments:

Post a Comment