Saturday 10 May 2014

Commission Documentary Unit 3: Editing day 4

Today Andrei, Vic and I all agreed to meet up and the library to further edit and sync audio and generally try finishing the edit. Annoyingly it took a while to re link the files as we was working on a different computer, however Vic helped me do it and it didn’t take too long. Throughout the day I aligned the rest of Steve and Darren’s interview together and synced up the rest of the clip mic audio. All together I was really happy with the process as I’d edited a lot together and added cut-aways to the footage and cut and trimmed the footage extremely precisely to cut out the huge gaps and pauses that Darren and Steve took in between words as well as the ‘erms’ and repeating words. To make sure the footage didn’t look choppy I used cut-aways of what they are talking about and I also kept switching between the close up shots from the interviews and the mid shots to make it less boring – but didn’t do it too much. Throughout the day Vic was sat next to me doing some work and kept looking at the edit giving opinions, Andrei also came to check as well and we all looked at the video to see how I was doing, after receiving feedback and making minor changes we all agreed it looked okay so we all carried on working. However, I really wanted to start on Marella’s interview and sequence as hers was a very large chunk of our video, but Andrei was still lining up the audio with the interview clip - however I knew I could do it myself on Final Cut as it took a matter of minutes for me to do Darren’s, as at the beginning of the video Andrei had clapped so that when we placed the clips above each other it would align perfectly and make the process easier for us. I felt like we was going round in a circle as to save time I said I would line up Darren’s visual with the clip mic manually which worked fine instead of Andrei doing it on Premiere Pro separately as it was taking so long and wasting so much time. However, as the day went on I was getting nowhere waiting around for hours when I could have been doing it myself so I began aligning Jake’s interview in place and said I would add the clip mic footage myself as the process I did didn’t take long at all. It got to 7pm and the library was about to close so we had to leave, after saving the file and also saving it as an XML file on every ones hard drive and checking one more time it had saved, we all left. Today I felt like we wasted a lot of time as Andrei and myself was practically doing the same thing and I had to wait around for a lot of time which frustrated me as I knew the deadline was extremely tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment