Friday 31 October 2014

Fiction Adaptation: GENRE?!

I want to do some research into genres and what codes and conventions are used. I believe this will help me know the features of the genre and what should go into it, such as music and the style of shots. I've decided I will research a few overall and then look more into my defined genre.

I began first by looking at the romance genre as my film involves a couple - however they aren't directly together in the film.
-Normally contains emotional feelings such due to someone dying.
-'Boy meets girl' is a typical thing to happen in a romance.
-Hints given throughout the film about a happy ending and two people being right for each other.
-Contains feelings/emotions/pain/love/failure/victory/flashback/past story
-Prompts such as : flowers/ hearts/ wedding wells very commonly seen

An example of a romance: JUST LIKE HEAVEN.


Thinking about the shots in my film and who is going to be featured, i'm not sure my film is a direct romance as we don't actually see the couple together throughout the poem, it's just small hints that they are together through her locket of him, flashes of him appearing with her and towards the end of the film where we see Nancy looking back at photos of him.

I then thought I should look at the Drama genre as it is more emotive and serious which parts of my film will have.
In drama films they use a lot of codes and conventions such as:
-Using code up shots to provoke emotions to both the viewer and the character
-Use enigma to build up story lines to keep the story interesting for the audience
-Character development throughout the story usually with some sort of climax of both the character and story.
-The audience can often relate to the characters in the film.
-Low lighting is used to set moods in the film and create suspense

An example of a drama: THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION


Looking at the different genres of film, I definitely believe my film will come under the Drama category with maybe romance? I'm unsure for definite if it is a romantic film as theirs not any direct romance between two characters - just symbolic. My film is going to use music to pull out emotions from the audience and use a lot of long and still shots to really capture the emotions of the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment