Wednesday 8 October 2014

Fiction Adaptation: 1900-1920's Research

Carrying on from my previous blog I want to further elaborate on the idea I had for the woman ONLY in my film to be dressed in a 1920's style.

I decided to research into the fashion and hair styles from the 1920's period so I would be able to have a thorough understanding of what the women looked like so my film looks realistic and not a parody of the 1920's.

HAIRSTYLES.

I looked into what hair styles where big in the 1910-1920's and found that the Marcel Wave was highly popular.


What is The Marcel Wave?

The Marcel Wave was invented by Francois Marcel in 1872, however it only became popular doing the early 19th Century to women. Originally it was known as the ''Undulation Marcel'' or ''Marcelling'' but soon after became known as 'The Marcel Wave''. In 1924 women could use electric waving irons to create the waves. The hairstyle creates tight waves throughout the hair and usually has a side part to it.

Sourcehttp://www.1920-30.com/fashion/hairstyles/marcel-wave.html

I really like the hair style and want to begin practicing on myself so when creating my fiction adaptation piece I am able to adapt the look onto my actress.

I've decided to look at a few youtube videos to show how to create the style.


Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRK4yTXWt8s

FASHION.

Woman in the 20's styles used a lot of florals and ruffles and wore long dresses. Their dresses where usually around knee length as any higher would be classed as inappropriate. Colours they wore ranged from pastels such as blues and pinks to dark colours like black and navvy blue. The clothes where very formal during the day and I haven't yet found any woman wearing trousers - this could be as they are meant to be seen as very feminine and lady like back in the 20's so trousers wasn't worn much. Woman of an upper class often wore daring Flapper dresses at evening parties which made them look more glamorous than the usual 'typical housewife'. A big thing during the 20's was white beads/pearls around their necks and on their wrists - this is a huge part of the twenties and I don't think any out fit is complete without them. The shoes the woman wore was small simple heels usually with a little thin strap on them. t think the ruffles in the dresses and simple clothing is really effective and is easy recognisable that we are looking at a 20's text. I want to make sure I find the right clothing for my characters so I create a realistic 20's story and not make it look tacky or unrealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment