Tuesday 16 February 2016

Major Project: 90s Research

Through our film, we have a scene in which we are flashed back to the 1990s'. Whilst writing the script, I know a few things about what people wore back then, however, it would be extremely beneficially to get it exact, and I want to do that by doing some research and looking at some pictures.

I read an article which says a little about filming in the past;

''The past is a foreign place, and a film's portrayal of the past depends upon thousands of choices about the physical, behavioral, and cultural details of the period and place being presented. Being authentic or truthful about the past involves much more than getting the costumes and the architectural details right.''

http://dohistory.org/film/process_preprod.html

I want to make sure we get the style the best as possible, as not only must we establish that the scene is a flashback of Francis, Julie and Bethany when they were younger, it also must be able to establish to the audience that was are in the 90's, not just a few years ago. Although this also comes down to the actors shaving and hair styles - it also is important that in the scene the actors are dressed appropriately. 




I first began thinking about the character Francis. To establish that he is in his 20's, he must not just be wearing 90's clothes - but wear clothes that a young person would wear in the 90's.

I began googling images of young men in the 90's and found a lot of similar things, baggy patterned jumpers, double denim and baggy shirts. 










I remember watching a show when I was younger called ''Saved By The Bell''

All the actors dressed 'typical' in double denim, high waisted jeans and baggy tops. However, the character Zack, would always have fluffy styled hair, jumpers tucked in and patterned tops. He also wore denim jackets which are a 90's icon and instantly recognisable. I want to base Francis' younger self around Zack as it would be a great example. 

url.jpg




Next, I wanted to move onto Julie's character. I did the same and looked at what women was wearing in the 90's. A lot of what I found was young girls, and Julie is a mum, however, she's a little older so I want her to also be established as a mum not just a young girl. I looked at some images and found the similar things to men. Double denim, baggy tops and jackets. 









I think i'll definitely have Julie wearing high waisted denim jeans, but I aren't too sure about the top yet, maybe double denim. The actress Thea luckily has quite thick hair, which was very stylish in the 90's so her hair is fine for that.
I decided to ask Thea for her opinion, the actress who is playing the mum, Julie. She grew up in the 90's and gave me some further ideas on double denim - however she also has a bodysuit that she said she would often wear so I asked her to bring it along the next time we meet up to get a more visual idea for the look we want. 




For Bethany's costume, it's not going to be so important, as she is going to be wearing a ballet costume! 

I feel quite confident right now, as mise en scene is a huge important part of the film and I want to make sure it's all perfect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment