Friday 11 December 2015

Pre - Production: Critical Reflection

Throughout the pre - production phase of the project, it has had immense pressure and time consumption which has been even more so with being screenwriter and producer. Screenwriting was always very enjoyable but the time restriction did pressure me and push me to always be conscious of how long scenes where and what I can do to make sure I don't go over - as this would be crucial during filming and the editing stage.
Creating such a twisted and in-depth plot has been very challenging - I've had to look into a variety of mystery dramas and screenwriting courses to get tips from professionals who have pulled off a great mystery drama. As challenging as it was, it also developed how I think and how to create even more depth with the characters backgrounds. I've learnt so much from raising the steaks to looking into psychopaths to make sure that I have Francis' character spot on. With the task of having to re write and re write, it's been hard to leave ideas behind, but seeing how much of a difference some things make, it's definitely worth it. I have enjoyed writing in the mystery drama genre as it's something i've always wanted to do - i've always wanted to create an enticing and enjoyable story that has so many twists and turns, and although it's my first one I think it's done quite good. Overall, being the screenwriter has pushed me further in ideas and pressure.

As the producer, it has had a variety of thoughts and feelings. At the beginning, I was feeling very positive and excited to be giving myself such a huge challenged, however, sometimes, it's been so stressful, but working in a great team has definitely helped. I've been able to control the team and make sure that everyone knows 100% what is going on in the film. A problem I did have with producing was the fact that it was very frustrating to me that when casting, although I wrote so much information and pay on the website - some actors completely ignored it, not even reading the first line which mentioned we was a student film, and when turning up to the auditions they was very shocked and confused. Some actors didn't read the pay, applied, was eager to audition and then began demanding more money than we could afford, even though a fixed price or travel expenses was clearly stated. This was just one minor problem, but it did set us back a little as it seemed most people wasn't reading the descriptions.

Overall, I definitely picked up some things along the way, such as, even though writing in a huge, beautiful theatre may sound and look amazing, will it fit the budget? Although there is many theatres in Kent and outside of Kent, I had various problems with theatres being extremely busy that they didn't ever get back to me, or the fact some theatres wanted £1,600 a day and wouldn't negotiate at all. This was very daunting and scary to me and the pressure was really building up to find this theatre and I desperately wanted a nice one to do justice to the film. I felt like as locations are such a huge part of the film, if one location is rubbish, it could bring the whole film down.

Controlling my team was generally not too stressful overall, I always made sure Vic and I was communicating always, and we both was very passionate about the idea that we kept discussing ideas all the way through. I made sure that after each draft, I asked Vic to read through it and give me any feedback including how he visualised it. Although he is the Director, it was nice to know if we had the same ideas or not. I have learnt to push my team and help whenever I can, including pushing for more concept art drafts or pushing for a storyboard to come through.
I feel I was very organised in communicating with the chosen actors constantly, and we have built up a great relationship so far. I organised the teaser filming and although we had to change some parts, our main actress stuck with us through it and I felt we produced a great film of work.

Having a great cinematographer, sound technician and directors assistant who only want the best for 'I Pull The Strings' is essential in the production. It took a lot of time and discussion to choose who I wanted to be on our team. I knew Chris is extremely reliable and through the project has been very supportive of us, I know he is dedicated to what he does and always pushes himself which I why I knew he would be a great sound guy. With Lawrence, he always listens to ideas and is extremely passionate about filming, I looked at previous work and was happy with what I found, he understands what we are looking for and I have discussed with him many times about the directors vision and filming dates so he is always up to date with what is going on.

For the directors assistant, I wanted someone friendly, reliable and passionate. The directors assistant will also be helping to direct any actors that are sitting around when Vic is busy, and I need someone who is energetic and friendly towards them so they feel at ease. I need someone who is reliable and confident which Patriciate Dixon definitely is, which is why she was one of my first choices.
Overall, my team so far has showed me how dedicated they are and i'm very happy with who we have.

Another key part which is often shrugged off until the end is the COSTUME and PROPS. Costume is definitely key in our film as we not only need a mask for Francis that covers his face and fits in the masquerade ball style, but we also need a prop mask for Bethany that she throws on the floor when she runs on stage. We also need a long red masquerade ball gown for Bethany and luckily I was able to find one very easily. I choose a long red sparkling ball gown that is beautiful. Immediately after casting Amy for Bethany, I asked for her dress size and ordered the dress. I have also been constantly ordering props and making sure to be ordering by the budget size so that we don't go over. I have made sure to be organised with the props as some of them (including the dress) are shipped from China and are taking a lot time, which is why it's good i'm doing it now as next year I don't want to be panicking that the mise en scene won't arrive on time.

Music was another key aspect I wanted to get sorted out straight away, and luckily, with the help of previous musician, Declan Gillgallon, and new composer Rupert Uzzell we have a absolutely amazing team of composers that are always pushing through with drafts and ideas for the film and always get it perfect.

Overall, this term has had it's ups and downs and definitely challenged me in so many ways, I have been so excited with the social media, hyping up the film and many people have become excited to which is really positive and helpful and I can't wait to post more when we get started. Everything came together in the end and myself and the team can't wait to get started next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment